1. How often is the location of the trip updated?
The update of the location is based on a time event. The predefined reporting intervals are as follows:
- Every time the ignition status changes, i.e. when it is turned on or off
- Every 3 km of travelling in a straight line
- Every deviation of 10 degrees or more in any direction
- The detection of excessive idling
- Highlighting whenever the maximum set speed limit is exceeded
- Any change of 5 km/h or more over the speed limit
- An alert is triggered for events such as harsh acceleration/braking or cornering
2. What if there is not a cellular signal in the area? Can the vehicle still be tracked?
When the vehicle is out of GPRS/GSM coverage, up to 5000 positions and events are stored in the device and streamed again as soon as GPRS/GSM communication is re-established.
3. How accurate is the location?
The location accuracy is high and can be traced to within a radius of about 3 meters at any stage. The speed and distance travelled are measured by the GPS system.
4. How will I know if my device is not working?
The green light under the globe icon won’t be turning on.
5. How do I go about testing my Smarttrac unit?
All Smarttrac units are automatically tested on a regular basis. However, the onus still remains on you to test your units regularly. To test your unit contact 087 153 0000, this can be done 24 hours a day, 5 days a week.
6. Is there a charge for testing my Smarttrac unit?
No, it’s completely free of charge.
7. Do I need to be in a certain area, or at a certain location, before I can test my unit?
No. You are welcome to test your unit wherever you are located, provided there is GSM coverage.
8. Can I track my vehicle
Yes, every Smarttrac unit is equipped with international roaming capabilities, and can therefore be tracked locally and beyond United States’ borders.
9. Will Smattrac give me my location yo anyone other than me?
No, unless you have given authorisation to a third party.
10. Does the unit interfere with my vehicle's warranty?
No, our units are approved by major manufacturers within the motor industry.